Gap year travel insurance
Get an instant quote
Policy Type:
Policy For:
feefo feedback

Do you have questions
or seek more info?

Visit Insurance FAQ


Gap year travel insurance

If you have just left school or University and are keen to spread your wings or you're taking a break from your career, then you will need to take out a specific gap year travel insurance policy which covers you for extended periods abroad.

Key things to note when looking for a gap year policy is what activities you wish to undertake whilst you are away. If you are planning to work or undertake hazardous sporting activities then make sure you choose a policy which covers them as standard.

You have a choice of 4 levels of cover and all of them will provide cover for medical bills, repatriation, baggage etc with the key difference between them relating to the activities covered. The policies are named, Standard, Active, Action and Extreme, their names really give away what is covered under each. 




Getting a Quote

Following a simple quote process where we determine your needs, the policy options are laid out on screen in such a way that you can easily see what is covered and more importantly whats not covered under each policy

Our Gap year policies all come with the same levels of medical, baggage and cancellation cover and the price differential between them is based on the types of activity you wish to undertake. From "Standard cover " to "Extreme cover"  one of these will fit your needs.


Gap year trips are often self-funded so make sure you get a policy which covers you for working whilst you are abroad



You will need gap year travel insurance that covers the policyholder for insurable events that may occur before or during travel, such as trip cancellation or journey interruption, medical expenses for injury or illness, theft of valuables, baggage damage and more.

The cost of travel insurance is based on the type of cover requested, the age of the insured, the destination of travel, the length of stay, type of activities covered and whether you have any pre-existing medical conditions. 


If you hope to do bungee jumping in New Zealand or climb to Everest Base Camp, then make sure you choose the right policy for these types of trips





What about the EHIC, Isn't that enough?

The European Health Insurance Card or EHIC is designed to ensure that you will receive free or reduced cost emergency medical treatment in any of the EU member countries - plus Switzerland - and is available for those aged 16 and over free of charge.

It is important to remember that the EHIC is for emergency hospital visits only and will not entitle you to any other form of treatment. It will also not cover the cost of emergency repatriation to the UK if needed and will not pay for any of the other benefits associated with a travel insurance policy including baggage, cancellation, personal liability cover, etc. To find out more about the European Health Insurance Card, please click here.


Did you know?

The UK Government is suing some EU states for refusing to honour UK residents EHIC Cards. Travellers are forced to use cash points in Hospitals abroad to pay for emergency care upfront and told to reclaim from the NHS upon return




Gap year travel insurance cover is available for:

Individuals, Couples of either sex who reside at the same address

Durations between 31 days and 24 months

Cover for trips in the United Kingdom, Europe, Worldwide including Australia, United States & Canada

Cover for travellers aged up to 84

A wide range of sporting activities including skiing, diving, bungee jumping

Travellers with pre-existing medical conditions including standard cover for over 1000 conditions



The fine print

Medical coverage

Limits and exclusions