Backpacker travel insurance
Get an instant quote
Policy Type:
Policy For:
feefo feedback

Do you have questions
or seek more info?

Visit Insurance FAQ


Backpacker trip travel insurance

If you are planning to spend an extended period abroad perhaps to work or just to travel before or after going to University then you will need to take out a specific travel insurance which covers you for extended periods abroad as opposed to annual multi trip policy which only covers you for durations 



Our approach has always been to offer the traveller the choice when it comes to long term travel insurance. Following a simple quote stage where we determine your needs, the policy options are laid out on screen in such a way that you can easily see what is covered and more importantly whats not covered under each policy.

Customers who are interested in the most cost effective options have the ability to further reduce the policy prices by removing elements such as baggage and cancellation cover and increasing the excesses.


It's difficult to plan for an extended period abroad so if you need to extend your trip or add any extra cover or activities, we don't charge any admin fees



Comprehensive long stay, gap year travel insurance covers the policyholder for insurable events that may occur before or during travel, such as trip cancellation/interruption, medical expenses for injury or illness, theft of valuables, baggage damage and more. The cost of travel insurance is based on the type of cover requested, the age of the insured, the destination of travel, the length of stay, type of activities covered and whether you have any pre-existing medical conditions. We have a wide range of available travel insurance policies available to suit all needs.


If you are planning to return to the UK during your trip and then continue abroad then make sure you have this extra risk covered





What about the GHIC/EHIC, Isn't that enough?

An EHIC or GHIC is designed to ensure that you will receive free or reduced-cost emergency medical treatment in any of the EU member countries - plus Switzerland - and is available for those aged 16 and over free of charge.

It is important to remember that the EHIC/GHIC is for emergency hospital visits only and will not entitle you to any other form of treatment. It will also not cover the cost of emergency repatriation to the UK if needed and will not pay for any of the other benefits associated with a travel insurance policy including baggage, cancellation, personal liability cover, etc. To find out more about the EHIC and GHIC Card, please click here.


The GHIC or EHIC gives access to free or reduced-cost health services in countries that have a reciprocal healthcare agreement with the UK. So be prepared as it's not always free and may mean you have to pay some costs in some countries




The fine print

Medical coverage

Limits and Exclusions